Friday, March 26, 2010

You should feel better about yourself in 1...2...

I. Am. A. Dork.

It’s true. As a kid I preferred to read than play with kids my age. My poor baby Sister was always trying to get me to go outside and play with her; but alas, I preferred to prop my feet up and read the latest Baby Sitter’s Club book. The day I had to give all of those up a yard sale was oh so sad; anyhow, I digress. So I thought I would let you in on a new secret shame that outlines just how much of a dork I really am.

My job involves a yearly edit of the major requirements in our course catalog. If you have ever attended college of any sort you should know what a catalog is. Anyhow as I peruse through the majors I have to highlight all of the requirements for each and then I go back through and compare that to last year’s requirements. I identify the changes and eventually I change all sort s of public documents with the changes. Seems all innocent and simple right?

Well the thing is that I am very selective with my highlighter colors. Many majors have options and those options have emphases and so the easiest thing to do is use several different colors to make the information pop out. Some years ago I decided that the color should fit the major. For example: I use a yellow highlighter for the construction major because it is the closest color to wood. Here is a small list of the others that seem to go for me and the corresponding reasons why.

- Blue for Geography because most of our planet is water.
- Green for plant science because duh most plants are green.
- Yellow for Chicano studies because it made me think of awesome tortillas and those are made with corn and corn is yellow.
- Green for economics because money is green.
- Yellow for Electrical Eng because for some reason it made me think of electricity which seemed sunny to me- you know they are both sources of power.
- Blue for computer science because in the matrix there was a blue pill and although I don’t know if that is the one Neal chose or even if the matrix has anything in the world to do with computers that is what I think of when I see computer science.
- Orange for Geology because it is the closest thing I have to a rock color.

I could go on and on. I only wish I was kidding.

No comments: